Tyler Grasham believes that hiking is an activity that is beneficial to the human body , aside from the fun it brings, it helps to battle depression and stress.
It is an exercise that helps to strengthen the muscles, reduce body weight, boosts the density of the bones, strengthen the hips and legs, helps with body stability, reduce the probability of heart problems, improve blood sugar level, blood pressure and it is also a great way to get in tune with nature to help clear your mind.
According to Tyler Grasham, hiking is more than taking long and laborious walks outside; there are things to consider before you decide to pick your boots and go hiking.
Before you go hiking, these are the basic and tangible things you need to know:
You need to choose the trail you’re walking on. Don’t pick an unknown destination for starters. Work with your immediate environment.
Decide how far you are going. You need to decide for how long you are hiking. You don’t need a very long distance for starters, choose a short trail you can work with, as you progress, you can lengthen your trail.
Decide if you’re hiking with company or going solo. If you are the type who likes company, you can join other hikers. But if you need an alone time by yourself, then you need to go solo.
Get acquainted with your chosen trail. As soon as you have chosen your hiking trail, get a map of the place, to familiarize yourself with every nook and cranny of the trail. You can also check online for reviews about the location.
Notify your folks about your trip. Don’t just up and leave. Make sure someone close to you is aware of your movement. Tell them your itinerary, so that they can know when to send out search parties, in case you’re not back by the expected time of arrival.
Check the weather forecast. The weather will determine what you’re bringing with you, your attire, how long and how far you’re hiking.
Dress for the occasion. There are the right clothes and shoes for hiking. Get yourself quality hiking socks, shoes or boots, wool top, and nerdy or light sporty pants. Don’t do cotton materials. Hats and gloves are optional.
Things you need in your backpack. Because you’re a beginner, you need not carry a heavy backpack. You need a light backpack so as not to get tired easily. These are the list of things you need for your hiking :
- Water bottle containing at least a liter of water. You need a liter for every one hour.
- Sunglasses and sunscreens. You don’t want to have sunburns after your hiking.
- Trekking Pole. It helps reduce stress on the knees. Provides extra support, strength, and stability.
- Map/Compass. You don’t want to get lost. You need a map and a compass to navigate your way around. The good thing about compasses is they are lightweight, can’t run out of power and can function in any weather.
- GPS Tracker. In addition to a compass, you need a tracker to send our SOS alert in case of an emergency.
- Cell Phone. You can’t be away from your mobile phone during hiking. You might need to get in touch with anyone on your phone.
- First aid kit. This is needed in case of injuries like broken knees, ankle sprain, and emergency health issues.
- Flashlight / Lighter. For making light in a dark place. Or to make a bonfire if you decide to camp overnight on your trail.
- Knife. For protection against trespassing humans and dangerous animals like bears and snakes.
- Blanket /shelter (tent). This is needed in case you decide to camp overnight.
- Insect/ animal repellent. To ward off insects and animals.
- Food. You don’t need to go with heavy meals. Light snacks like fruits (apples and banana will do), crackers and nuts will suffice.
Don’t leave any trace. Make sure the only thing you have trailing your hike is your footprints. Don’t litter your trail with dirt. Ensure you keep your trail clean.
With this information, I believe you’re good to go on your hiking trip, and you have all it takes to have an amazing hiking trip.